Fire Emblem Draft Challenge

Grandmaster Challenge - Ylisse (Ongoing)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Grandmaster Challenge - Ylisse (Ongoing)

Post by Sylvanelite on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Then I'll take Basilio and we're done!

Sylvanelite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BestTeaMaker on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 pm

The Drafting Period is now finished!

The Challenge will end on July 11th. If you believe that you cannot finish in this timeframe, the latest you may contact me is a week before the deadline.

Challengers, please begin you logs in this post. Your logs must contain at least: Turns taken in each chapter, penalties received in each chapter, and total number of turns. If you decide to update through more than one post, I will show your latest update in the OP.

Tacticians, you may now begin the Grandmaster Challenge!

PS: It would help me a lot if you could send me a screencap or photo of your Avatar's Profile image. Thanks!
BestTeaMaker
Admin

View user profile http://fireemblem.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jmaster777 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Okay so I decided to go + Speed, -Luck with this character.  Male, name is Dia.  My full total is in brackets.  Figured I would use the way already established.

Premonition - 2(+0) Turns. Chrom stepped forward to attack with me.  How nice. [2]
Prologue - 8(+0) Turns.  Dia and Chrom Heroes. [10]
Chapter 1 - 4(+0) Turns. The Chief killed himself by attacking me on the 4th turn.  Nice! [14]

Chapter 2 - 7 Turns (+0).  Critical saved me one turn here.  Good luck there! [21]
Chapter 3 - 7 Turns (+0).  I got really lucky with some enemies missing me.  Otherwise I would have needed a reset. [28]
Chapter 4 - 4 Turns (+1). 5 Total. First one went poorly, and would end up with someone dead if continued.  Second one was great! [33]

Paralogue 1 - 11 Turns (-5). 6 Total.  I got the rescue staff for the next chapter which probably cost me a turn. [39]
Chapter 5 - 9 Turns (+0).  I have always hated this mission. [48]
Chapter 6 - 7 Turns (+0). Awful chapter for me.  The boss ran away, I used a ton of healing items, and it was just generally awful.  Decent turn amount I guess. [55]
Paralogue 2 - 8 Turns (-5).  3 Total.  Okay chapter, but I really hate trees... [58]
Chapter 7 - 4 Turns (+0).  Just rushed in kind of recklessly. Not going to lie it was because of Sylvanelite I went this reckless. [62]
Paralogue 3 - 6 Turns (-15). -9 Total.  These villagers are IDIOTS.  YOU WERE SAFE STOP WASTING MY TIME! [53]

Notes: I really need some stupid seals to appear.  Everyone is at least 10 with one 20.

Chapter 8 - 8 Turns (+0). Decided to go for all villages costing me one turn.  It should be made up later. [61]
Chapter 9 - 5 Turns (+0). Really good stage here.  I am pleased with this. [66]
Paralogue 4 - 7 Turns (-5). 2 Total.  Happy with this go through.  Did not talk to Anna so she could keep attacking. [68]
Chapter 10 - 6 Turns (+0). This was a good chapter, but I could have gotten the last thief.  [74]
Chapter 11 - 5 Turns (+0).  Good chapter, rushed through with no real problems. [79]
Chapter 12 - 7 Turns (+0).  Thank goodness that Cherche comes with a hammer. [87]
Chapter 13 - 2 Turns (+0).  The quickest possible on this for me.  Not having galeforce sucks. [89]
Chapter 14 - 2 Turns (+0).  Another 2 Turns.  Great chapter, but I fear the loss of EXP may hinder me. [91]
Chapter 15 - 8 Turns (+0).  Not too happy here could have shaved a bit off. [99]
Chapter 16 - 8 Turns??? Computer deleted my notes on this one. 107???

And then I can not beat Chapter 17 like this for the life of me. It has destroyed e everytime I try for whatever the reason.

CONGRATS SYLVAN!

Last edited by Jmaster777 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 6 times in total

Jmaster777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvanelite on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 pm

My tactician is Sylvan, Speed asset and flaw Luck.
running total in square braces: []

premonition - 2 turns  [2]
prologue - 6 turns [8]
ch1 - 5 turns [13]
ch2 - 6 turns [19]
ch3 - 10 turns [29]

My notes so far: Pairing up with Frederick seems to make everyone invincible. Lucky Kellam comes with a Javalin, otherwise I think ch3 would have copped me a turn penalty. (either that, or the AI just ignores him because he's Kellam).

donnel paralogue 11 * donnel survived (-5) [35]
ch4 - 5 [40]
ch5 - 8 [48]
ch6 - 7 * Gaius died when attacked, gaius engaged 1 battle (+6)  [55]
anna 7 * anna survived (-5) - anna engaged x2 enemy +(10) [57]
ch7 - 4 [61]
ch 8 - 9 [70]
villager - 6 turns * 3x survive (-15) [61]
cd 9 - 5 turns * tharja died + tharja 1 battle +(10) [66]
anna - 14 * anna alive (-5)  - anna engaged x2 enemy +(10) [75]
ch 10 - 5 [80]
ch 11 - 6 [86]
ch 12 - 9 [95]
ch 13 - 1 [96]
ch 14 - 3 [99]
ch 15 - 7 [106]
ch 16 - 6 [112]
ch 17 - 10 [122]
ch 18 - 4 [126]
ch 19 - 5 [131]
tiki - 6 turns,tiki took 2 attacks tiki died (+11) [137]
ch 20 - 5 [142]
ch 21 - 5 [147]
ch 22 - 3 [150]
ch 23 - 11 [161]
ch 24 - 7 [168]
ch 25 - 4 [172]
ch 26 - 2 [174]

My random notes:

Got Grima down to 6 HP on turn 1. ARGH. Resetting would have cost a +1 penalty, so it's not worth it =(

I totally forgot Miriel was a part of my draft until about half-way through.

In all, I played pretty cautiously, perhaps overly so. I didn't want to net a death or reset, so my count is a bit higher than I would have liked. If Chrom died it's like a +14 turn penalty count (Chapter reset, GAME OVER and Drafted unit dies) so I certainly wanted to avoid that. I screwed up Donnel and Anna's missions by going for the chests. Even with a reset penalty I could have easily shaved off a good dozen turns. But meh, them's the breaks, and it's too late to fix now. I think I'm the first to finish, I was a bit reluctant to post since now everyone has a target to beat.

Chapter 13 I threw caution to the wind, and it paid off. I tried to do the same on ch 26, but as above, didn't net the kill and had to take 2 turns.

No children missions. I never even tried to keep Tiki alive.

EDIT:

So, it's been a week since my run. So I'm going to post more detail on what I did, in case anyone finds it interesting or it helps with their runs.

First up: My draft was good. The only change I would have like would be to swap Maribelle for Lissa, but I was quite ok getting both Sumia and Maribelle in the first pick.

I focused heavily on investing in Sumia, as Galeforce and her high move stat would be beneficial to the run.

I normally don't use pegasus, because of their main weaknesses. Aside from bows they tend to suffer from: low damage output, low def stat, and a general weapon triangle disadvantage.

To make her tanky, I paired her up with Frederick. He gives +4 def, which in early game is overkill. I could charge at axe users and take them down with no problem.

To increase damage, I gave her forged lances. (more on this later)

After Chrom got enough exp, I stopped pairing her up with Frederick and used Chrom instead. His Sword beat axes, and the supports in general made her much harder to kill. (for example, yen'fay triggered astra against her, and Chrom blocked every hit - which in fast forward looks quite ridiculous).

At the beginning of every mission I'd hit "L" to cycle through every enemy unit and highlight the ones with bows. This saved me big time on the moustache chapter - where a warrior had a silver bow. I wouldn't have noticed it if I had just been looking for archers (which is what I was doing earlier, before the enemy had promoted units).

I ignored super-effective wind mages, since Sumia had tons of RES, she could take a few hits easily. Since Sumia has more movement range than the archers, she could pick them off without too much trouble. Despite the care, she did get shot at from an archer once - but Chrom blocked it.

For the rest of the team, I always paired up. Even if it was with a level 1 unit. After realising I had Miriel, I would deploy her and pair up with the tactician even though she was level 1. The tactician is getting +4 mag, and bonus exp. Even when Miriel had no weapons, the benefit is worth it. My tactician hit level 20 three times over.

I would have liked to pair up with Miriel and Maribelle to increase the range of rescue on early chapters - but forgot about it until it was too late.

In general I spent as much money as I could. I figure most other people in the draft wouldn't think about using the forge. I don't know if that assumption was true or not. Forged thunder provides a powerful weapon with 45 uses, making it extremely cost effective. You can buy it with the base 5000 G from the get-go. Other forged weapons were: steel lances, silver lances, javalins, and thoron. Most of them were to thunder and javalins as I needed a lot to keep them from breaking.

I used stat boosts as they arrived - except for skill and luck boosts, which I sold to fund more forged weapons. The value of the items for those stats far outweighs the +2 stats.

I made sure to use everything - rather than hoard like I would do in a normal playthrough. Things like bonus items, swords and lances were used in place of bronze weapons. I got some good items early on from lucky tiles, like Cecelia's Gale.

I tried to avoid bronze where possible. This is the opposite of how I would normally play, but figured it was worth it for a competition.

I sold everything that wasn't in my core set of classes (i.e. all axes, swords and bows). I only really used Chrom, Sumia and Sylvan. Maribelle was promoted early and given powerful low-durability forged tomes to boost pair-up damage when not using staves. My tactician was only used for magic, and Chrom only used his starting weapons - allowing me to sell swords for cash.

I micro-managed durability by trading. For example, I would kill thieves with cecelia's gale, and then use a 2nd unit to trade and replace gale with thunder, preserving gale for when I needed it.

As I mentioned above, I think I might have played too cautiously at the start. I knew nobody else in the draft had Frederick, so trying to beat my turn count would have incurred a moderate risk. I was effectively banking on someone else to net a death&reset to compensate for my cautious play. Obviously, I can't tell how honest people would be, but I pretty well botched that lead by having an extra-long anna paralogue (14 turns) where I left 1 enemy alive and went for chests.

What else... Rescue staves are OP. I'd pair up Chrom & Sumia, move Maribelle right into the enemy lines, rescue Sumia next to Maribelle, then charge the boss. (It pays to count movement before doing this - in Ch13 I could only attack the boss from a range - which was ok since forged javalins/tomes & Chrom). Being able to rescue NPC characters also makes protect missions easy.

I used seals mid-chapter as to not waste exp at level 20.

I can't wait to see how other people played, and if there are any techniques I may have missed out on.

Sylvanelite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jmaster777 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm

Most of your techniques were some that I had already used, but my draft was not kind. No Galeforce is in my future which could cost me this round. In the beginning Lissa kept me healed and in the fights, which is the only reason I can match you on some. Also after seeing your counts I started getting overly excited and rushed into situations where I could have easily died, but it has not happened yet. Also may I say that the rescue staff thing is genius! I will probably steal that in the future.

How would you say Fredrick was? He seems like he could be either a hindrance, or a huge asset, did he lean one way or the other?

Also for a note, how were your levels? My MU sky rocketed in the beginning, which was a huge advantage on turns. Also I used my seals early which I think is a bigger benefit than using them later.

Jmaster777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvanelite on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:14 am

How would you say Fredrick was? He seems like he could be either a hindrance, or a huge asset, did he lean one way or the other?
Huge asset. To be honest, I've never used Frederick before (at all). So I'm used to clearing maps without him. I didn't use Frederick directly, only as a pair up unit.

In the early maps, I'd pair Frederick and Chrom, giving Chrom +4 def. Then use Chrom. Then move Sylvan next to Chrom, take Frederick and get +4 def, then hit another unit. The def boost was a huge asset. Sumia would never have survived without it. Often I'd be facing two lots of 5 damage (10 total - a significant amount of HP early on) but end up reducing it to only 2 damage - an insignificant amount. The added boost of pairing up also helped score bonus damage and blocks every now and again.

Levels were:

Chrom 20/17
Sylvan 20/20/20/8
Sumia 20/20/14
Maribelle 10/8

Nobody else was used in combat directly, but Frederick got to level 5 from pair-up exp.

Chorm took an early level lead, but once Sumia was able to survive without Frederick, I used Chrom as her partner instead.

Sylvanelite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum